The CYMRU Kingdom

Home Forums Factions The CYMRU Kingdom

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      FutureSojourner

I am interested in learning more about the Cymru Kingdom. Here is a thread to discuss it!

Galan
      Keymaster

Kingdoms are interesting. I originally had seven Kingdoms in Knightguild. But with the new maps, and old history of Midgard, I have not had time to define more than two: The Imperials and the Cymru. To keep with the invasion of the Imperials to Midgard (the original continent), I consider it the Midgard continent a broken Kingdom – one that might come back in a smaller size.
      The Cymru, to the south of the Midgard continent should have a history – any one want to take a stab at it?

DreamWeaver
      Participant

Taken from the Rulebook: CYMRU- People’s Defenders

The Cymru Kingdom came about after the Great Cataclysm. The effects on Kalmar were far worse than the rest of the world. All the cities in Kalmar were harmed in some way and some were even destroyed. Most of these cities were left as a small fraction of their former glory. The Kingdom was formed when the remaining cities of Kalmar started to recover and people from other lands began to appear in Kalmar taking over these weakened towns and cities. These clans and factions posed a threat to the lands of Kalmar and its culture. The feeling was that these foreigners could soon take over Kalmar as the Imperials once did to Midgard. That is when great individuals of Kalmar stepped forward, realizing something must be done to protect Kalmar and its culture or it would be discarded like the garbage.

Once formed, the Cymru Kingdom promised the people of Kalmar that they would be free to live their lives as they have for centuries. These men and women promised to give their lives to protect their way of life and keep their communities free from the totalitarian control of others. They have no stated enemies other than those that hinder and harm the culture and people of Kalmar.

KarlPrie

It sounds a lot like the Sons of the Sky group that formed to get rid of foreign invaders from Midgard in the UK game, Imperials and Barbarians for the most part.

Stephen

DreamWeaver
      Participant

Realize the Cymru came live in Midgard USA under Zan’s version of the game, and that Pre-Dated your “Sons of the Sky” faction.

KarlPrie

I didn’t create the Sons of the Sky. They were created in the UK game when I was a player in the early to mid 90s.

Stephen

DreamWeaver
      Participant

Then I stand corrected fine sir. Well all I can say is when I came up with the description for the faction with Steve Kort, Almore Miller, myself with fine tuning by Zan E. that is what we decided on. No other faction description was ever referred to. We were looking at a certain ideological point of view for the Cymru and I feel we did a pretty good job. Remember the Cymru were down in Kalmar and were created as the “Defenders of Kalmar” with that being the point of view of what we wanted to be.

KarlPrie

I wasn’t suggesting you had copied the Sons of the Sky. I just found it interesting that different people, in different versions of Midgard, with no contact, had come up with the similar Factions. 🙂

Stephen

Steve-Kort
        Participant

Well Stephen the idea of Defenders of something in various games is a very old thing indeed and I have ran into it in various games from the late 70’s to the present. The concept just gets slightly modified to fit the situation in that game.

FutureSojourner

The Cymru then are not concerned about Midgard — they care about Kalmar. So the Imperials could take over all of Midgard and it wouldn’t affect the Cymru; although, they would be concerned in making sure the Imperials didn’t invade Kalmar after conquering Midgard. Is this a safe assumption?

DreamWeaver
        Participant

Stephen, I think you are missing the difference. The “Sons of the Sky” wanted to liberate Midgard from both the Imperials and Barbarians. Thus they wanted to hunt them down and kill them and drive them from Midgard continent. Now the “Cymru” wanted to defend Kalmar from invading factions seeking to conquer the cities down in Kalmar to exploit them to get them to declare for their own faction regardless what. So the “sons of the Sky” are Liberators, while the “Cymru” were Defenders. They have similar focuses, but they are very different in my mind.

Now the “Cymru Kingdom” is a different faction in this game with a slightly different focus with a partner faction of the “Seekers of Knowledge religion”.

KarlPrie

I know what the difference is. The Sons of the Sky went head-to-head with the Imperials and Barbarians, while the Cymru/Seekers want to take a third of the playerbase to a segregated portion of the map that doesn’t need to be populated right now. All so 50+ clans can sit around training in skills and building temples/offices for 40 turns, on the off chance that another Faction that have real enemies would be bothered to launch an invasion to take over the 25? cities in Kalmar.

This is exactly why I created the Dakarian Empire, so that you would be forced to actually have an enemy to fight.

DreamWeaver
        Participant

Stephen, you do NOT have the total picture of everything that is going on. There are Plots within Plots within PLots all going on and other stuff you have No Idea about. As to the players, everyone has their own choice to do as they decide. The goal is to have fun in what you want to do, not what others want you to do. You don’t even realize on Midgard, there are “OTHER Kingdoms” yet unknown to you that will show up once the game opens up. The Imperial Kingdom is only in Northern Midgard, you have the whole of Southern Midgard to deal with. Good luck with that, don’t worry about the rest of us! We will be just fine and happy with what our group of players enjoys doing and playing.

As for your Dakarian Empire that was a cool Bad A$$ faction, over the top with; Slavery, Rape, Murder, Conquering/crushing of cities and all the other Nasty stuff all thrown together in One. It made the perfect Villian (reminded us of Nazi Germany) to fight against and couldn’t have focused our player base better if I set it up by myself<very cool stuff Dude>!!!

Don’t worry we Seekers will bring the Truth that Moorlock is actually a Goddess (Female) God and not the Male got the Cult tells everyone. Plus the Dark One is Moorlock, remember the Blood & Fire and Serkeanar were both Moorlock religions and they were brushed under the Cult Faction religion. So that means the Dark One is Moorlock and SHE is a Goddess…One of the (8) Old Gods.

My knowledge on this topic having played a Serkeanar clan that earned a Rank #5 in the game by playing and roleplaying that clan. Next I played Heretic clans that also dug into this stuff all with Zan for YEARS on details about Moorlock, The Dark One, and the rest of the Old Gods. I have talked about much of this with Jon, and we have had a good laugh about much of it. The Seekers of Knowledge if you remember were a faction, and it is under Jon C in this game that they are a Religion of the Old Gods. Actually it combines the design I was standing up in Zan’s game (Seekers of Faith in the Old Gods) and the Seekers of Knowledge faction, to what we have here in this game now. The only difference is now we have both the Cymru that I bought live in Zan’s game and we have the Seeker religion together in this game at the same time.

KarlPrie

Very true, I don’t know everything that is going on, but I did get some conversation started. =D And you should know me well enough that I support people playing Midgard in whatever way makes them happy, both as a GM and a player.

Stephen

Steve-Kort
        Participant

Wow Stephen, you must be psychic. You seem to know more than everyone else.
        Like I told everyone that I know in this type of game. Your not going to dictate how or what people play in a game. If your not diverse and accepting of all styles of possible play in a game you are going to limit your player base. This is true in free to play games and even more important in games that you pay a fee. It can be the difference whether someone plays at all or plays just a clan or plays many.

Now in Zan’s version of the game in which Cymru were formed. We had no known enemy but numerous other issues to deal with in the game. There was a secret group that burned to the ground the office of the MV and slaughtered the followers. Chased off the Roder forcing them to close there offices. They even prevented Getham from sending people to open an office in a city. We never did find out what there purpose of motive was before the game ended. But we were definitely limited on what we could do and had to do extra to get some things done.

There was also a great deal more roleplaying envolved in that land. Secret stashes of goods long ago forgotten. Mysterious creatures and the like terrorizing people and the land that had to be dealt with. Besides a variety of other things that I was not involved in or had the honor of knowing about as people did not want others digging into their stuff.

KarlPrie

Wow Stephen, you must be psychic. You seem to know more than everyone else.

I am, allow me to demonstrate. <clears throat>

The city in Kalmar attacked by the Banner was Thaxted in D-19.
        The city in Kalmar “bought” by the MercVerk was Bloxham in B-18.
        Now when you talk about the city in Kalmar taken by Nippon, do you mean Aylesbury in A-18 or Woodford Halse in B-18?

The only people I can see of right now in the game that I see having to concern themselves with this would be the Cult or the Banner as I have no idea of what NPC groups this would apply.

Firstly, we don’t like to be grouped with the likes of the Banner Religion. And secondly, did you just make a wild assumption about the Cult forcing people to adopt their religion?

Stephen

Steve-Kort
        Participant

Stephen I just assumed the Cult to be religious zealots that will not tolerate other religions, just like the Banner. If that is not the case then you will find no issue with the Cymru, but I doubt that your group is that accepting of other religions or you would not be so secretive and hiding.

KarlPrie

Stephen I just assumed the Cult to be religious zealots that will not tolerate other religions, just like the Banner.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see if your wild assumtpions are correct.

If that is not the case then you will find no issue with the Cymru, but I doubt that your group is that accepting of other religions or you would not be so secretive and hiding.

What does being secretive and hiding have to do with acceptance of other religions?

Steve-Kort
        Participant

Very much as you say. The Cymru are all about the protection of Kalmar. It may come at some time that we consider protecting other areas but that greatly depends on who and what is there and the people of that area. That would be a very long term look, as we have much to do to effectively protect what we have now.

DreamWeaver
      Participant

As I understand it the Imperials are only really in Northern Midgard, and I ‘hear’ their are other Kingdoms in southern Midgard that we have yet not heard of until the game actually starts play after the Beta Test is over. I also believe that these other Kingdoms are NPC to start. As for the Cymru, they are based out of Kalmar and really that is their focus exclusively. The Seekers religion is in Kalmar and can be in Midgard as well too.

DreamWeaver
      Participant

Here is the current “Cymru” Kingdom factional symbol:

Cymru Kingdom factional Symbol

Penn

Daniel
        Participant

I like you image for the Cymru who was the Artist?

Daniel
        Participant

As I said I like that image for the Cymru, Wyvern isn’t it?

I have a passing interest in heraldry and vexillology (just when it comes to midgard) I wouldn’t mind commissioning some art work myself, love the style.

Wyvern. A serpent’s tail, a dragon’s head and a body with wings and two legs

The Etymology of the word Wyvern was historically from the word wyver which in many languages translated into “viper”, “adder”, “asp”, “serpent” or “snake”

In Heraldy, The arms of the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries depict a wyvern, symbolizes disease

If someone who could tell me who this great artist is, please let me know.

DreamWeaver
        Participant

Daniel, I do not have the artist name, as this pic was from years ago. Another player gave it to me and I then gave it to Jon to be used for the Cymru.

Mutantguitar
      Participant

Help! My Seeker clan on Midgard is being constantly ambushed by another, fanatical and persistent religion! I am only looking to find knowledge of the Old Gods, nothing more. Will I be able to seek a Cymru clan for assistance? How will that process occur.

Steve-Kort
        Participant

No. You chose not to be in Kalmar. We protect those in Kalmar, we can not be every where and the thought we can or could is a bit crazy. Just because we believe and support your religion does not make us the military arm of the religion. Now if you wish to come to Kalmar we will protect you as we would any other from those fanatical religions. The Cymru do not force any religion on their people. They are free to choose there own path.

DreamWeaver
      Participant

Well there are many different ways that this could be resolved, you would need to engage with the Seeker Seniorship and then we could talk. Plus if you set up your clan properly, then you should be able to deal with another clan anyway. Once again engage with the Seeker Seniorship and we can advise you. There are many ways to skin a Clan, so use your head and set up your clan properly. No faction will openly attack you, or some might but stay away from those that might. My guess at this point that might be either Banner or Cult, so stay away from them. Until there are active Seniors in all the factions, I really can’t tell what or how they will act. A bit of common sense is required here by you the player. You could always create two clans to work in pairs like a Seeker clan working with a Cymru clan, and then travel together playing Johnny Appleseed across Midgard building both Seeker Temples and Factional offices as you explore. Remember you need to play within character of the faction your actually in as well too. It is extremely hard to speculate in hypotheticals, so lets wait and see. You have to use some common sense my friend, and that sits on your shoulders. Lets talk and we can advise you and aid you, but it is best that you reach out and talk to the Seniorship first before something happens. Besides it would be a lot more fun to defeat someone yourself, then to have someone else bail you out. In my own game history, I have been able to defeat much larger opponents myself because I paid attention to the CBT settings, MOVE settings, and clan unit setup and Orders..plus with my skills to aid you. Just think of the fun and bragging rights you can have if you defeat someone yourself…the bonus to your Renown would also be great too. So as always stay calm and reach out to the factional Seniorship and yes we will aid you. As always you could start up in Kalmar with your Seeker clqn (having it moved after the Beta Test) just once again reach out to the Seeker Seniorship and we can talk.

Penn

DreamWeaver
      Participant

Let me point out one other point, we are NOT playing Midgard of Old, we are playing KnightGuild – Midgard. Now in this game there will be NO Regiments handed out to player clans. Gone are the days when 28,000 Regimental troops are assigned to a clan to fight and die for the clan protected at the rear. If your going to fight in this game, it will be CLAN vs CLAN.

So you better know how to setup your clan’s Combat settings, Movement settings, Units setup with Orders, and have the proper skills to support any combat you get involved in. Your clan will be doing all the fighting and dieing in this game, not that wall of regiments. So if your properly prepared and setup, you have a equal fighting chance to survive and do well. There are other factors that also apply as well too, but need to step back and relook at everything.

Having clans run in pairs is a extremely wise advice till you get a feel for this new games combat system and setup. There is more here than meets the eye.

Nazareth
      Participant

Penn states; “Once formed, the Cymru Kingdom promised the people of Kalmar that they would be free”

Wouldn’t they have the freedom then to declare for other factions if they chose? Wouldn’t they have the freedom then to allow other factional offices in their cities if they chose? Wouldn’t Cymru, by their own omission guarantee the cities their right to choose their future?
      Or as Penn further states;

“Now the “Cymru” wanted to defend Kalmar from invading factions seeking to conquer the cities down in Kalmar to exploit them to

get them to declare for their own faction”

Shouldn’t they be free to declare for other factions? Or are they free only to the point that they heal to Cymruian benevolence? If those cities willingly choose to follow a different faction, is that not the freedom you promised? I fully understand protecting your neighboring cities in Kalmar from military aggression, but not the option of choice.

I have also noted that it has been mentioned on several occasions that factions will not have, what many might have considered, full compliments of factional regiments, but some deluded/reduced number. The logic being that everyone will have an equal chance when engaging in combat and that strategy and tactics is what would/should influence to a great degree your chance of success. This would be true if everyone started out equally and some players didn’t get to bring in/start with clans they had from years ago, with, I assume significant numbers of retainers, skills etc. If this isn’t the case with older clans being brought in, let us know. Otherwise, I agree that as a whole, smaller factional regiments would probably be a good thing, but as I mentioned, when you have some very large clans running around, it makes them more powerful than what other players are starting with and thus the ‘everyone being equal’ mantra a facade.

Like Daniel, I too am perplexed when I hear Penn make numerous statements about ‘in game play’. I don’t need a lecture about playtesting experience or tech skills, or name dropping concerning conversations, players being allowed to play their styles, etc. I fully understand all that. I’m talking about remarks such as “There are Plots within Plots within PLots all going on and other stuff you have No Idea about.” or “You don’t even realize on Midgard, there are “OTHER Kingdoms” yet unknown to you that will show up once the game opens up. The Imperial Kingdom is only in Northern Midgard, you have the whole of Southern Midgard to deal with. Good luck with that,” It’s these statements scattered thru the forums that give the impression of inside game knowledge, not just technical game mechanics. It gives the appearance of something more. So you can see the confusion.

And Steve, to your statement to Stephen, “Wow Stephen, you must be psychic. You seem to know more than everyone else.” Wow, you actually said that! Could there not be anyone else on this board that more resembles that statement than Penn? And with good reason btw, Penn does seem to know more than everyone else……

Man, am I already enjoying this game!!!

my unprofessional opinion,

Steve-Kort
        Participant

Naz seeing how I don’t think you played in Zan’s version of the game when the faction was created you need to be enlightened on the facts. First off the people of Kalmar did not want the factions of Midgard in their land. The Nippon and Banner both forced there way upon the people of Kalmar and the people lacked the ability to do much about that fact. The Cymru did liberate the one city Banner City and were looking at trying to free the Nippon city before the end of the game. Now the MV tried more peaceful methods of moving into Kalmar and were able to eventually take over a city but they were still not liked by the majority and in fact there offices in most cities were burned to the ground and there people slaughtered by some unknown group. About the only faction that was moderately accepted in Kalmar was the Getham and for the most part that was only the bigger coastal cities that had ties to Midgard through multiple trade routes.

Now that is cleared up there are additional factors about Kalmar and various factions that you need to know. Most all #0 of various factions wanted nothing to do with Kalmar. Most refused to open offices even if you built them. The only reason some of them had offices at all in Kalmar was that the software automatically open up any office as they were built and unless the GM turned around and closed it then it worked. The Roder and Boda were never in Kalmar but there offices were and were open for a while until we tried to put them in other cities and Zan would not allow them to open as they would not waste resources on an area of the world they had little to no use for.

Now as for this version of the game the only faction I see that might be interested in coming to Kalmar would be the Getham and possible the Religions. I have no issue at all with the Getham if they want to come, as for the relgions if they bring their religious wars to our lands we will have issue. If they are willing to get along with the other religions in the land we will have no issue. As for any other faction I want to know how you are going to justify being so far from your interest and what it does to further the goals of your group.

I hope this clears things up before more wild assumptions continue to be made.

KarlPrie

This would be true if everyone started out equally and some players didn’t get to bring in/start with clans they had from years ago, with, I assume significant numbers of retainers, skills etc. If this isn’t the case with older clans being brought in, let us know.

This is something I’d like clarified as well. If a former US player is going to be able to bring in a clan with 10,000 retainers and a million Crowns, they really wouldn’t need regiments. They would always be far ahead of other clans, and this likely to discourage new players from joining.

Stephen

Greyhawk
        Participant

Steve,

What about Sea Dogs? There trade could be very useful in building Kalamar back up.

Steve-Kort
        Participant

They actually are an interesting faction and exactly what they end up officially being could be a nice group to associate with us (Cymru). I would hate to make any sort of statement before I know more about all their goals and purpose in the game, but from what I understand they could be a very nice asset.

Nazareth
      Participant

Ah Steve, I have been waiting for you. You are correct, I did not play in Zan’s version and thank you for the history. However, none of that answers the question of allowing the people of Kalmar free choice. This is Jon’s version, not Zan’s version.

Was there historical references in Zan’s rules that stated all you said about Kalmar or was/is that Cymru’s official doctrine, that is the party line? Freedom is freedom, that is the right to choose who to associate with, who to do business with, who to worship, etc. Either you support their right to freedom (choice) or you don’t and if you don’t, well then there’s more to Cymru and their backers than meets the smell test.

I can’t speak for any faction or their wants or needs to come to Kalmar. Could be for trade, could be for conversions, could be for influence, could be to establish a ‘stepping stone’ for further exploration, perhaps vacation, who knows, but the people of Kalmar should make those decisions, individually for each faction based on their relationships and benefits provided by/with those factions.

Now, the Kingdom of Cymru, being a kingdom and such could make those decisions for their people. Now if all of Kalmar were part of Cyrmu, then they could make that decision for all the people. Hmmm, might have to get back to that later. Not knowing what other people might know, I’m assuming that all of Kalmar is not part of the kingdom of Cymru. Assuming that is a true statement, could it be that Cyrmu wishes complete dominance over Kalmar and pumps out the party dogma about only caring and protecting the people until such a time as they can complete their conquest of the continent? It is a continent, right? Who knows!

By saying that you are hoping to clear up ‘wild assumptions’ to mean our confusions, then, NO. Stating that “Most all #0 of various factions wanted nothing to do with Kalmar.” is history and worse, history in another version. Kinda like a twilight zone kind of history.

All I can say is ‘CYMRU, TEAR DOWN THAT WALL’!!!!!

my unprofessional opinion

Daniel
      Participant

It was late in the Golden Age that the southern continent of Kalmar was discovered and settled by the people of Midgard. Their efforts in the south perhaps weakened the Factions of Midgard as the Golden Age ended.

Factions were interested according to the history book, it was discovered and settled by the people of Midgard.

Steve-Kort, I have a question. What is Kalmar culture? It’s mentioned a few times in the write-up.

Steve-Kort
        Participant

It is the way they live and their beliefs. Which will now be whatever Jon says it means. I can only tell you about the old version.

Steve-Kort
      Participant

Naz, all I can say is you love to argue about things you don’t know about and want to twist them. The Cymru had no control over what and how Zan ran the game. The facts were we asked the #0 of the factions in the game and the people in Kalmar. These were the answers we were given by those that would speak to us. In fact a few of the #0 not only stated they were not interested in Kalmar but that while they would prefer there people (Clans) not go there they do not control there whims and the faction will not waste its resources building offices in Kalmar.

The fact was the Cymru were very much interested in building some Boda Armories, it was the Boda that said no they had no interest in being in Kalmar and would send no one. We got the very same response from the Society of Arms. Refer to past post it was not the Cymru but the people of Kalmar that had issue with the Banner and Nippon. Again previous post it was some group in Kalmar that took offense of the MV and burned there offices and sacrificed their followers in the alley that were not burned in the office. As I have also stated in other threads my Cymru clan ran a Getham city in Kalmar, for the benefit of the Getham and the people of Kalmar.

Ok tell me Naz, where is it that we are not giving the people freedom to do as they wanted? It was other clans that were not talking or dealing with the culture that were causing the issue. Even the MV that peacefully took over a city to the south of my Senior after they failed to take over the city I was given leadership of running by the people of Kalmar. While this was not a military conquest what they did was fill the city with MV offices and soldiers. They also bought and influenced many of the major players in that town, so they turned over the leadership. Now the Cymru did nothing about this and had no plans to do anything about this city. But from what happened to the MV offices and their people in the city I ran, I can only assume similar things were about to take effect in that city.

Now this game is a modified version of that one and I plan to treat it no different roleplaying wise unless Jon modifies the faction. Where is it that we are not giving the people that freedom?

Now not wanting to speak for Jon or tell him how to run his game. If you want to play an Imperial or Boda clan and place them in the middle of Kalmar by all means do so. But I would guess that you would be given no support from the faction as you are outside there influence and their scope in the game. In fact I would imagine most factions would remove you from there ranks for bailing on their objectives.

As I see things in the game all Kingdoms/Faction/Groups have a circle of influence. When your outside your area you are completely on your own and your not really doing much for your Group. Hence my statement on the Seeker clan begging for assistance from the Cymru in Midgard.

All I can say is ‘NAZARETH, TEAR DOWN YOUR WALL OF PREJUDICE !!!!!

Nazareth
      Participant

Wow, more history. I’m talking Midgard politics and you’re talking personal prejudice. How did you get there? On a lighter note, does the Seekers provide apothecary skills, because there’s medicine for that.

I’m speaking to statements in forum posts that allude to Cymru’s mission as protecting the freedom of Kalmar citizens by not tolerating traditional Midgard factions to come into Kalmar because really, they have no business down there anyway and in previous versions they weren’t interested. So I attempted to discern why Cymru would so passionately oppose such inter-relationships between Kalmar and Midgard proper. There’s always hidden agendas or as Penn stated so eloquently, plots within plots within plots.

While we’re on the subject of Cymru politics (not people), I was looking over the goals for the Kingdom and to my not so discerning eye I looked at goals 2, 3 & 4. While most, if not all factional goals are pretty ‘concrete or fixed’ in understanding what needs to be done or what constitutes a response, those 3 goals belonging to Cyrmu are pretty broad and could be defined however one wishes. Two for example states “Prevention of closed cities in Kalmar”. Not sure what that means. If a city in Kalmar wishes to be a ‘free’ city state and it’s leaders choose to close it’s city for whatever reason, does the Cymruian policy of ensuring those people’s freedom stop there? Just asking? However, that is a concrete goal. Three “Keeping Kalmarian markets as true free markets” and four “To stop any oppression against the people of Kalmar” are on the other hand pretty wide and broad statement goals that could be construed as anything should Cyrmu wish to invoke it’s ‘right’ to enforce their policies on those ‘perceived’ violations.

Yes, it’s true, I do like ‘discussions’. Takes two to ‘discuss’. You know what they say, arguing(discussing) is like wrestling a pig, you’ve got to get down in the mud with him.

Steve, you’re becoming one of my favorite Midgard acquaintances.

my unprofessional opinion

Steve-Kort
        Participant

Why thank you Naz, as I was not sure whether I and/or the Cymru were not just your favorite whipping boy or what. I speak of the past as I reference how the Cymru faced actual situations in game and what these things meant by the faction. I can not completely commit exactly how things will be in the future as I can not say for sure how Jon’s vision of these things will be and what modifications he will have. From what I take so far the Cymru will be much more of an established Kingdom then when Zan ran the game. As we were very much in the begining stages of things.

Now what was meant by closed city is what the Nippon did in the old game. They took a city by military force. The town was basically starved into submission by seige and they surrendered. The city was then closed off to all and the citizens were forced into following the new rulers. Only after this forced compliance took effect was the city opened up to outsiders and then only if they did not try to change the city from the path they had set.

Now #4 is more a forced compliance rule. The only people I can see of right now in the game that I see having to concern themselves with this would be the Cult or the Banner as I have no idea of what NPC groups this would apply. The reason I say this, as they seem to be the type that would force the people to do what they want and only what they want. Excuse the Star Trek reference here but simply put we were not going to let the Borg mentality to take place in Kalmar.

While most everything was targeted at Midgard it would apply to any faction/group in the game. But at that time the goals were designed more for the player groups that existed as the GM was only begining to introduce more NPC groups as he had a programming issue to add more stuff and was limited by his programming. A lot of this needs to be rewritten to make things more clear, but before I go to that length I want to get as much info on what the new game is to make them work with what we now have.

Nazareth
      Participant

It’s not that you’re my favorite whipping boy, although you might be my favorite whipping boy. It’s because you guys/gals, Seekers/Cymru crowd are the big dogs on the block. Therefore, us small dogs can’t allow you to be the loudest and strongest voice in the neighborhood. So we must test, question and challenge you at every opportunity. Think of it as ‘pre-game manipulation’.

Daniel
      Participant

Steve-Kort says

It is the way they live and their beliefs. Which will now be whatever Jon says it means. I can only tell you about the old version.

The old US version, yes some interesting stuff.

I recall the Kalmarian people were cousins to the “Barbarians” or that cultural group including skelts… etc…

If that were true for this game it would make it awkward with those factions like the Imperials, families, religions who have certain goals.

Lucky its what Jon says it is in this game.

Having never played the US version, guess I can only base that information on the the US of what Seekers have emailed me in the past. Matches up entirely.

Players played proper and did alot of roleplaying.

No sitting back, building up with intention of strategic power-gaming.

I always liked the Barbarians, and I would like to sack a Imperial Preserve. In Midgard USA, the game as a whole was using Bronze Age weapons and we Cymru had developed Iron/Steel weapons and had armed 650,000 Barbarians Seakings – Naval Barbs), 450,000 Skelts (land based Barbs), 275,000 Buccaneers (Pirates), and 450,000 Cymru …armed with Iron/Steel weapons, Greek Fire, and Blast Powder in kegs….to siege the 25.0 walls of the Southern Perserve. We were setting sail from northern Kalmar to lay siege to that place. You see the Cymru had the same culture as the Barbarians… we were backed by the Cult of the Dark One, Buccaneers, both Barbarians, and had a special arrangement with the SOA. Plus we knew the secret of that perserve, it was like the city of Paris, it had many catacombs and tunnels under the Perserve and we had secretly mapped a path into the Perserve. During the siege, we would tunnel into the catacombs and send a large group in to flood out when the ‘blast powder’ goes off under the great 25.0 walls. If we had managed to take the Perserve we were going to murder every Imperial by throwing them all off the walls. Then the Cymru would fortify the perserve, and we would build a Harbor Fort and would allow Barbs, Buccs, and Cymru in. We had the mass to finally take that place. Penn

DreamWeaver
      Participant

Daniel, the above was in Zan’s game, but that Preserve is no longer there in this game. This is Jon’s game now and you are trying to compare Apples to Oranges. So what was is no more, what is or will be is yet to be seen. The future is a unknown ship sailing on a unknown sea towards the mornings coming twilight. Sit back and enjoy the ride, it should be a fantastic adventure for all.

Penn

Nazareth
      Participant

“Players played proper and did alot of roleplaying”

What does that mean exactly, “players played proper”? and

“No sitting back, building up with intention of strategic power-gaming.”

couldn’t be more of a true statement!

Steve-Kort
        Participant

I assume what he meant by the first is that we did as our guidelines stated for the faction. We talked with the NPC’s of Kalmar and took their feelings into account and tried to do and allow what they wanted.

As for the second we did not sit around and just secretly build up a huge power base to go out and conquer as Stephen has suggested multiple times in this game and in his version of Midgard, or at least that was always his major concern of why we needed a major enemy.

The Cymru were designed to be defensive in nature, hence the term Defenders of Kalmar. We would be more like the Roder and Boda were before the Imperials invaded their Kingdom. We are not looking for more land like the Imperials were just protect what we have and our people.

As for enemies we have none stated right now, but that can change at any moment in the game. We could quickly have 2 zealot religions(player based) that may want to come here, plus possibly other religions not PC based. We could also have other Kingdoms that are looking to expand as their are lots of unknowns in the game that have to be discovered.

Right now I am assuming the Roder and Boda will not want anything to do with Kalmar as it is to far away from what they want most and that is to take back their lands from the Imperials. The Imperials may want to eventually come to Kalmar but only after they take care of the Boda and Roder. If my guess is correct then none of these would be enemies, but they all could be, all based on how things go in the game.

There is also the unknown things that exist in the game that the players don’t know yet. These things are want makes this game more than just a basic straight forward Strategy/combat game and in my opinion makes the game worth playing. This game has always been much more than player combat.

Again I will not commit the Cymru as an enemy to anyone until they have done something to warrant that status. Now I assume the Cult or Banner would get that status if they were to show up in Kalmar, but again until they actually do something wrong in Kalmar they will not get that status.

KarlPrie

Now I assume the Cult or Banner would get that status if they were to show up in Kalmar, but again until they actually do something wrong in Kalmar they will not get that status.

More wild assumptions. The Dark One wants nothing but the best for the people of Kalmar.

DreamWeaver
        Participant

The Cult is designed as a cross between the SOA and Brotherhood factions of old Midgard. Add in some details of the Blood & Fire and Serkeanar. Sorry the Cult is an Mask of pure Evil that wants to hide, manipulate and control people by using smoke and mirrors and pretend to be one thing and actually be something else. Why else would they seek to hide whom they are, and hide if anyone is declared or supporting their connection to them. You can put on what ever face you want to paint, and try to sugar coat it all you want, but underneath it all is a spoiler faction that seeks to divide and then control the world. Your not fooling anyone here at all.

KarlPrie

Sorry the Cult is an Mask of pure Evil that wants to hide, manipulate and control people by using smoke and mirrors and pretend to be one thing and actually be something else. Why else would they seek to hide whom they are, and hide if anyone is declared or supporting their connection to them.

More baseless accusations. It gives an insight into your way of thinking when you automatically equate hiding or secrecy with evil and intolerance. That is how you think, not us. For centuries heroes have hidden their identities so that they can oppose true evil, and so it will continue while that evil exists.

Nazareth
        Participant

“but underneath it all is a spoiler faction”

Wow, that’s kinda harsh, huh!

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/1480-recruiting-players-for-a-fantasy-pbem-game-of-midgard/

Can I assume that all original Midgard factions (not Kalmar) are spoiler factions then? The above link takes you to your recruiting post where you implied in paragraph 5 that “The difference between playing on Midgard and Kalmar, is up in Midgard your playing backstabbing one another” High praise for those not part of the Kalmar factions!

Does a faction adhering to it’s factional goals set up by the game system constitute betrayal and backstabbing. If so, then ALL factions that are attempting to meet their factional goals would fit that description. If that is not what you mean by ‘backstabbing’, then we have to ask what you do mean by backstabbing?

Nazareth
      Participant

“Why else would they seek to hide whom they are, and hide”

persecution!

Nazareth
      Participant

“For centuries heroes have hidden their identities so that they can oppose true evil,”

Zorro, The Lone Ranger, Batman… -)

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.